7 Facts About Collagen
- Collagen is a major component of skin,making up around 75% of it dry weight. Loss of elastic recoil in the skin as we age is partly due to a reduction in collagen production.
- Collagen is a significant part of the skin, bones,hair, ligaments cartilage & blood vessels.
- As a species we are no longer consuming all the parts of an animal when we eat- for example, the bones, which are a great source of collagen. Therefore, when we reach a certain age & our ability to produce collagen is reduced, it is super important to supplement.
- Collagen is important for our skins as it helps to heal our gut and a healthy gut equals healthy skin. Collagen also prevents and reverse the signs of skin ageing strengthens hair and nails and helps to reduce the appearance of stretch marks and cellulite.
- This essential protein supports our overall health by promoting sleep, supporting the health of joints and the cardiovascular system and aiding the bowel regularity. It also assists the function of the nervous system, the detoxification of the liver & the growth of lean muscle mass.
- There's no such thing as plant collagen only plant based supplements that support collagen production & health. The best source of collagen is ANIMAL, FISH, EGG.
- If you are vegan, there are other things you can do to boost your collagen. These include.. consuming vitamin C (which helps to protect your collagen production and build new collagen), amino acids (proline,glycine,arginine,lysine) from protein containing foods and other key nutrients such as sulphur (from garlic) antioxidants,zinc,manganese, vitamin A, copper.